Here at Boux we shout about making sure you wear the right bra size all the time, but having properly fitting bikinis is equally as important.
We know Bikini shopping isn't always fun, in fact it can give the same dread and frustration as jean shopping. Just last summer we discovered that 68% of women aged 18-44 in the UK don't enjoy shopping for swimwear*. So hopefully this guide will help to make bikini shopping much more enjoyable.
A bikini should fit like lingerie, which is why our bikinis are sold as separates. This way you can easily get the right bikini top and bottoms for you! We have a selection of wired and underwired bikinis to choose from depending on how much support you would like, along with high and low waisted bikini bottoms!
For even more guidance on bikini fits make sure to check out our Bikini Fitting Guide on The Avenue.
Key things to look out for to be able to tell if you are wearing the wrong size bikini top?
Just like a Bra fitting, Boux Avenue fitters look out for the following Five Faithful Features in an underwired bikini top:
- The Underband - this should not raise up the back and should be in line with the wires at the front. The underband needs to stay in place when moving. However, your personal preference may affect this.
- Straps - not digging into your shoulders, and taut enough that they don't fall off your shoulders.
- Cup coverage - decent, smooth coverage is what you’re looking for - not gapping or digging in. Bikini top cutting into your breasts? Test a size up
- Wires - sitting under the armpit and encasing all breast tissue.
- Center front - sitting in between the bust and flush against the breast bone offering separation.
Now for those who choose a halter neck bikini and it is giving you neck ache, it’s either tied too tight, or it might be on the small side. Therefore you may need to size up.
Full Support Wired Bikinis
Boux's wired bikinis are available in bra sizing, ensuring you have a bikini top that specifically fits to you. Unsure on your bra size, don't forget you can book a bra fitting with one of our experts in store, or you can take a look at our how to measure your bra size guide to find out your true size. A quicker method is also taking our fabulous Bra Fit Quiz! Remember how we discovered 81% of you fabulous gals are wearing the wrong bra size! That's not all though, last summer Boux also discovered a staggering 90% of 18 to 44 year old women have never had a bikini top fitting for wired cup bikinis*. Meaning the bikinis that the UK population are buying are more than likely not fitting correctly!
Underwire bikinis are great if you prefer some lift and extra support from your bikini. If you also have a fuller bust, it can be a lot comfier choosing an underwired style due to the extra support they offer. Boux's underwired Bikinis range in sizes from 32A to 34DD, with some ranging up to 38G.
- Ibiza eyelet bikini top -Black - £34.00, pair with either the Ibiza eyelet bikini thong £16.00, or the Ibiza tie side bikini briefs £18.00 - also available in Red and Purple
- Ibiza halterneck bikini top - Pink £32.00, pair with Ibiza bikini briefs - Pink £18.00 - also available in Blue
Choosing The Best Fitting Bikini Bottoms
Bikini bottoms should skim, smooth and accentuate our favourite bottom-half features. Love to highlight your hourglass shape? High-waisted is the way to go. A self-crowned queen of squats and loving your work? Then why not show it off with a thong-style bikini bottom.
So how do you know the fit is right? It's easy - your bikini bottoms should neither ride up nor leave any imprint on that sunkissed skin. It is all about preference, finding a pair that look the part, feels amazing and you can wear all day long.
Non Wired Bikinis
For those who prefer the comfort of a non wired bikini then don't worry, Boux has you covered. Hit the beach in a strapless bikini number, lounge poolside in a sexy crop bikini, or sunbathe in the garden in a classic triangle top - they’re all designed to make you feel beautiful and confident, whatever the occasion. These styles are sold in sizes 8 to 18.
Link to high res imagery: https://boux-avenue.prowly.com/presskits/swimwear-23
*All figures, unless otherwise stated, are from YouGov Plc. Total sample size was 4,432 adults, 1,030 of which were females aged 18-44. Fieldwork was undertaken between 8th - 12th July 2022. The survey was carried out online. The figures have been weighted and are representative of all UK adults (aged 18+).